6.19.2011

“small boy’s definition of father’s day: it’s just like mother’s day only you don’t spend so much.”–unknown

so i’ve come to realize that when it comes to dedicating blog posts to family (parents especially), the words don’t flow freely.
i have a hard time expressing with words how i feel about them.
so today, on this lovely father’s day, i’m going to give 3 of the countless reasons why i love the amazing man i’m proud to call my pops.
1. our relationship
i’ve told a lot of people that if they ever met my dad, they would understand me so much more. it’s totally true. i’ve come to the conclusion that i get my personality from my dad (and everything else from my mom). these pictures pretty much sum it up.

{this picture needs no caption.}
{this could have been a cute picture, but of course, we ruined that. no biggie.}

2. his “dad-isms”
there are some things that my dad does/says that i’m sure no one else in this world does. here are some examples:
”you’re just full of poogey water.”
”say mud.”
"if we had some peanut butter, we could make a peanut butter and honey sandwich...if we had some honey."
"behave."
"do you believe in reincarnation?" ... "i used to be a junkyard dog. wanna see my scar?"
(mocking me) "i'm not gonna try it (speaking of food) because if i try it i might like it. and i don't like it."
"we're having steak for dinner."
”it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission.”
minuet in g. (nuff said)
he can always scare me and make me jump, even when i know he's there.
constantly threatening to take me out of his will.

3. The Children’s Hour by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
this is one of my dad’s favorite poems, and it has become mine as well.
he read this to me the morning i left puerto rico for college.
and a couple times since then.
every time he does, he tears up, as do i.
whenever i read it, i think of my dad, which makes me tear up.
it’s awesome.
anyway.
here’s the poem:

Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupations,
That is known as the Children's Hour.

I hear in the chamber above me
The patter of little feet,
The sound of a door that is opened,
And voices soft and sweet.

From my study I see in the lamplight,
Descending the broad hall stair,
Grave Alice, and laughing Allegra,
And Edith with golden hair.

A whisper, and then a silence:
Yet I know by their merry eyes
They are plotting and planning together
To take me by surprise.

A sudden rush from the stairway,
A sudden raid from the hall!
By three doors left unguarded
They enter my castle wall!

They climb up into my turret
O'er the arms and back of my chair;
If I try to escape, they surround me;
They seem to be everywhere.

They almost devour me with kisses,
Their arms about me entwine,
Till I think of the Bishop of Bingen
In his Mouse-Tower on the Rhine!

Do you think, o blue-eyed banditti,
Because you have scaled the wall,
Such an old mustache as I am
Is not a match for you all!

I have you fast in my fortress,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!


i love you pops. thank you for all the advice, harassment, money, and love you’ve given me throughout my life.
you’ve helped shape me into the person i am today.
love you dad.
happy father’s day :)

{insert normal, cute picture of me and dad. ... yeah i don’t have any of those...oops}

1 comment:

Natasha said...

I totally agree with the fact that once you meet Brother Martineau you understand Tenery better haha I still owe your dad a fortune in quarters. :)